Judith Neilson Scholarship in Contemporary Chinese Art
Deadline: 10 September 2017
The Judith Neilson Scholarship in Contemporary Art has been established to support the study of contemporary Chinese art in its global contexts. The Scholarship provides a stipend allowance for a PhD scholarship to be undertaken through the Department of Art History at the University of Sydney under the supervision of Dr Stephen Whiteman.
In order to be considered students must:
- Have an unconditional offer of admission for a full-time PhD in the Department of Art History in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University, and have completed an undergraduate program with first class honours, or master’s degree in a related field of study;
- Demonstrate engagement with issues related to contemporary Chinese art, global art cultures, and transcultural studies, and have academic experience in one or more of the following fields: art history and theory, Chinese studies, visual culture, and/or curatorial studies; and
- Possess demonstrable research skills and a high proficiency in writing in English.
Proficiency in Chinese is strongly preferred. Applications that demonstrate a potential for engagement with the White Rabbit Collection are strongly encouraged.
The successful applicant will be awarded the Scholarship on the basis of their:
- Academic merit,
- Research proposal,
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Personal statement which:
- demonstrates engagement with issues related to contemporary Chinese art, global art cultures, and transcultural studies,
- outlines any academic experience in one or more of the following fields: art history and theory, Chinese studies, visual culture, and/or curatorial studies, and
- demonstrable research skills and a high proficiency in writing in English.
- Feedback from two referees. At least one must be an academic referee, the other may be professional.
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to provide a writing sample and/or sit for an interview.
The Scholarship will provide a stipend allowance of $30,000 per year for up to three years with a possible six to twelve month extension.
No other amount is payment.
For further information relating to the area of research please contact Dr Stephen Whiteman at: email@example.com
For further information regarding the Scholarship, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org